November 7, 2022

Jira Workflow Triggered transitions

I share some learnings, concerns I've had recently concerning Jira Workflow triggered transition.

Problem Description

In Jira you can configure your workflow to have status transition automatically done by a trigger e.g. a Bitbucket event like Pull Request Merged, Rejected,... See documentation Configure workflow triggers | Atlassian Support

One main point is that you may not want to get these automatic transitions to be visible by the users.

For example my normal manual transition to Approve an issue will display a screen to select the Resolution and add a comment. 
I might want an automatic transition triggered e.g. by a Pull Request merged with a specific Resolution set automatically. I explain in next section how to do this.

How to add a triggered transition with a specific resolution


Transition Trigger e.g. Pull request merged:

Transition Options-> Hide transition from user





Transition Post function: Update Issue Field-> Set Resolution

Other thoughts: automatic transition yes or no?

Personally, I would think twice about implementing a triggered transition to close an issue (Approve or Reject)
Most of the time an event might not be enough.
Example the Pull Request Merged event might not be enough to decide to close the issue, 
if for example I have a PR for changes in the code. But I shall not close the issue if the user documentation is not done. Or I have multiple Pull Requests (here I think Jira does not handle/ check if other PR linked to the issues are opened.)

See also

Configure workflow triggers | Atlassian Support

Solved: Workflow post function to set resolution only if t...

No comments:

Post a Comment