February 2, 2023

Goodreads: quick search by multiple shelves

I share here a way to quickly search in Goodreads in multiple shelves at once.

Problem description

It isn't easily possible to search in multiple shelves at once in Goodreads. See How can I see books that are on more than one shelf?

(Why you need to click on "select multiple" to be able to select multiple tags is an UX weirdity to me.)

With the solution below I can quickly type multiple tags to run a combined search. (Prerequisite I know how my shelves are named.)

Chrome extension implementation


The main part is implemented in the searchGoodreads function.

I can run the search in the Chrome omnibar, typing my extension keyword, followed by the keyword 'gr' (for goodreads) and the list of labels prefixed with #.

See, the two shelves are selected.

I can also run a simple query in my books if I don't use any # prefix.


will open: https://www.goodreads.com/review/list/4083745-thierry-dalon?&search%5Bquery%5D=irving 

AutoHotkey

See implementation in Lib/Goodreads.ahk -> Goodreads_Search function

You can input a search string that combines shelves/ tags using a # prefix and text search.

Example:

#fiction #next

will look in my shelves 'next' AND 'fiction'


The function is called by my NWS PowerTool script QuickSearch functionality. To trigger it press the Win+F hotkey in a Browser window with an active Goodreads url.

Note: it is not possible in Goodreads to combine a search in shelves with a simple query. In this case only the query part will be considered.

For both implementation, you need to hard code your list / search profile url. In my case https://www.goodreads.com/review/list/4083745-thierry-dalon


No comments:

Post a Comment