January 16, 2023

Goodreads to Notion

This post is a WIP/ WOL. Please comment if you are interested for me to share quickly a final solution/ want to motivate me getting this done.

I have the idea to use Notion for tracking my reading and especially take reading notes.
I use mainly Goodreads to manage the books I have or plan to read/buy and also its community feature to share with other reading friends.
Now I would like a seamless handling between both tools i.e. avoid manually entering of books in Notion and automatic synchronization from Goodreads to Notion.
Moreover, I would like also to track my expenses related to books.

Benchmarking

There is one notion template (https://www.notionreads.com) but not free that allows to add books to Notion easily.
There is no real sync tool between Goodreads and Notion.

There is a tool to import CSV to notion with a Sync feature: https://github.com/vzhd1701/csv2notion (Python based)

Alternative solutions

I have thought about using something else than Goodreads. 
StoryGraph export does not provide an easy book Id and therefore no easy way to get for example the book cover automatically. 

Challenges

Goodreads export does not contain Date read started. 

Raw concept

Export Goodreads to CSV
Synchronize CSV to Excel file (Table, Data Refresh)
Expand Cover url (HttpGet)
Expand Date Start reading (HttpGet)
Merge Price / Purchase Info (second Table, VLOOKUP formula)
Owned from 'wishlist' tag
One-click sync to Notion (VBA-> Python)

Implementation

VBA code to get the book cover url

No comments:

Post a Comment