October 14, 2022

Authenticator without mobile phone

I have learned recently a way to have an authenticator not only on my phone but in my browser on my PC - using a password manager extension.

Problem description

Some apps like Confluence, Jira or GitHub requires a 2FA (2-factor authentification).
In the past I was using an authenticator app on my phone: obviously, this has the drawback that it requires your phone to login even on your PC.

(I use personally as Authenticator app on my phone Authy) 

Authenticator on PC   

I have learned now that Dashlane is offering the capability to add 2FA to your vault items.

It requires installing Dashlane once on your phone and scan the 2FA QR code.

On your mobile phone, open Dahlane and Edit the Item in your Vault.
Below the password, there is the possibility to "Add 2FA token"

See documentation here



You can add the 2FA token by scanning a QR code.

For Confluence, you can access this QR code from the Profile picture on the top right-> Secure Login Profile




Then when your vault is synchronized on your PC/browser extension, you can view it from your Browser on the PC and login without your phone.

See the '2FA token' in Dashlane entry:
N.B.: This is also possible with Bitwarden see here (Premium subscription is required)

References

2-factor authentication by Dashlane – Dashlane

Bitwarden Authenticator (TOTP) | Bitwarden Help Center

No comments:

Post a Comment