April 7, 2022

Browser Select (Tool recommendation)

I highly recommend this piece of Software Browser Select free open software available in GitHub.

I mainly use it because I have different Jira or Atlassian tools instances (Jira/Confluence...): one instance per customer. And each instance requires specific login that I manage to isolate via a specific Browser Profile.

I used it as well because some web-based tools were only working in an old browser and not in my default browser.

Download


This fork contains some fixes/ updates https://github.com/lucasnz/BrowserSelect 

Short Description

Browser Select is a utility to dynamically select the browser you want instead of just having one default for all links.
(from the GitHub Readme)

Usage

Filter configuration

Somehow I have struggled to configure this.
The Matches option seems not to work with wildcards.

The rule : Matches | Domain | *.google.com will not work for htttps://www.google.com link. 
But Contains | Domain | .google.com will work.

Known Issues

It seems there is a new issue in displaying the different Chrome Profiles I use: each profile appears 4 times as a browser option. (see Screenshot above top left - Chrome (Person 2) is listed 4 times.
I have simply unticked the redundant ones.

Alternatives

Mentioned here
BrowserSelect seems not to be developed anymore. (Last release was in 2019)
There is a fork of it that is further maintained https://github.com/lucasnz/BrowserSelect (Last release Oct 2021 as of 2023-01-11)

BrowserChooser2

https://browserchooser2.com/

I couldn't find out if it supports different browser profiles.

Hurl


I couldn't find out if it supports auto-url, means opening specific browser for specific URL patterns.

BrowserPicker

Last Update as of 2023-01-11, Jan 2022

Browser Profiles are not supported natively but (for Chrome) you can still manage them by using the command line argument e.g. --profile-directory="Profile 1"

You can identify which Profile uses which directory by looking at chrome://version output:

Support SafeLinks

Big thanks and kudos to zumoshi for sharing this!

No comments:

Post a Comment