December 7, 2020

Monitor web content

Frequently I want to watch a webpage i.e. be notified when a web page is updated.
Common use cases for example: get a notification when a software is updated (watch the changelog), be notified when a question (I haven't asked myself but I'm interested in its answer) in StackOverflow is updated, dedicatedly watch a page in HCL Connections (out of my overcluttered notifications feed), subscribe to a github commit feed etc.

I present here the best solutions I have found so far for this.

Distill.io

My goto place for this is: https://distill.io/


This is available as Chrome Extension as well as mobile app.
You can set the check frequency and also the part of the page you want to monitor.

Alternatives

Feed Readers

I also like to use RSS Feeds and recommend Feedly as Feedreader.
For internal feed not accessible by Feedly I recommend the Feedbro Chrome Extension (e.g. to aggregate HCL Connections content). 
Alternatively, you can also use Microsoft Outlook as Feed reader. Specially good if you want to flag the entries in Outlook.

For StackOverflow

Edit 2021-03-15: you can now Follow a question in StackOverflow.

For StackOverflow questions I have tried StackEye but it does not display my watched questions in the list, StackOverFollow - but it doesn't recognize my opened StackOverflow questions to follow and finally, the one working for me is StackStalk


No comments:

Post a Comment