December 7, 2020

James Clear: sharing, writing, recording, networking

I have listened recently to this podcast with James Clear (Atomic Habits) interviewed by Chase Jarvis (CreativeLive).
Below are some notes/ transcripts that resonated with myself related to a digital role model mindset: networking, why writing, sharing and recording.


56:49
Writing has been one (meta-habit) that has been crucial for me and I think that it's crucial for most people even if your career is not an author like for me it seems kind of obvious because you're like well he writes books of course he needs to write
57:01
but actually writing is the antidote to confusion.
57:05
It's like how you get your thoughts in order. It's how you figure out that you didn't really know how to explain this or what was going on and so having some kind of writing or creative process
57:17
(Actually I'll even expand it and say I don't think it actually has to be writing. I think it could be a podcast. I think it could be a youtube show. I think it could be any form of creating media) but
57:27
It helps sort your thoughts out and so, that's been a really big one. 

57:33 The other huge element of this (and I'm sure Chase you've experienced this in many different ways) when you share your work publicly if you're up for that if you're interested in that, sharing your work publicly becomes like a magnet for other like-minded people and it's actually the single best networking strategy available.
57:50
Good networking strategies have almost nothing to do with going to conferences or cocktail hours or sending cold emails or whatever.  It's really just create the kind of work that you're fascinated and excited about and share it with the world and other people who are fascinated and excited with that same thing will come to you and so that's a huge huge benefit that I've seen from writing



81:05 Look for high leverage opportunities.
Try to focus on things that can be recorded or could continue working for you after they're done
Do work in a timeless evergreen way so that it can continue to work for you in the years to come
and I think that if you can keep doing that again and again it can really pay dividends in the long term course of your career

No comments:

Post a Comment