February 13, 2023

Browser Tamer (Tool recommendation)

I share in this post a software recommendation for taming your different browsers.

Problem description

I like to use different Browser profiles based on the task or tool at hand involved. For example, I have one dedicated profile for working with the Atlassian toolchain (Jira, Confluence,...). This allows me to use specific extensions. I have also different profiles for the different customers I support with their own Atlassian domain. It makes the login/ handling of multiple accounts easier.
On the other side using Microsoft 365, you are almost forced to use Microsoft Edge for SharePoint urls.

Solution

(I have used in the past Browser Select but decided to look for a better alternative mostly because it was a bit buggy in handling multiple profiles and not portable.)
I have tried quite a few other software but a lot had some issues in registering as browser.
I finally came to Browser Tamer: https://www.aloneguid.uk/projects/bt/


The pitch line goes "Super fast, tiny desktop Windows app that helps to redirect clicked links to a correct web browser."

This is very light and portable. It handles multiple profiles out of the box properly.
I love it! Thanks @aloneguid!

Redirect links in browser to default browser (using BrowserTamer) | Thierry Dalon's Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment